2015-2016 Vincennes University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Funeral Service Education 6050, A.S. Career/Tech
A Two-Year Program Leading to the A.S. Degree
This program adheres to the institutional commitment to student success in both human development and achievement of educational goals. The challenge is met by providing a comprehensive program, which includes a wide variety of educational experiences aimed at developing skills necessary for practice in funeral service, as well as knowledge that is basic to the ideal of good citizenship. This program enables students to develop the proficiency and skill necessary for entry level placement in funeral service. It also addresses those measures of public health and ethical conduct required to uphold and foster the dignity of funeral service. Upon completion of their studies at Vincennes University, the funeral service education students will be able to comply with the goals of the program. The goals of the funeral service program are: 1) the student will demonstrate the cognitive knowledge necessary for satisfactory performance in an entry-level funeral service position; 2) the student will demonstrate an ability to perform basic embalming techniques; 3) the student will be able to apply the cognitive knowledge in a practical setting working in an entry-level funeral service position; and 4) encourage students and faculty to perform research in the field of funeral service. Successful completion of the A.S. Program allows students to transfer to a baccalaureate institution.
The Funeral Service Education Program at Vincennes University is accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE), 3414 Ashland Avenue, Suite G, St. Joseph, MO 64506 (816) 233-3747. Website: www.abfse.org
The annual passage rate of first time takers on the National Board Examination (NBE) for the most recent three year period for this institution and all ABFSE accredited funeral service education programs is posted on the ABFSE website (www.abfse.org). The annual passage rates for Vincennes University’s Funeral Service Education Program are also posted on the Vincennes University website (www.vinu.edu for the Funeral Service Education Program).
- Meet admission requirements for the University.
- Complete READ 011 with a grade of “C” or higher or qualify for exemption from READ 011 as determined by placement test scores (e.g. SAT, ACT, or other standardized placement tests as accepted by Vincennes University).
- Qualify for placement into MATH 013 or MATT 014 or higher as determined by the Vincennes University Accuplacer test.
- Complete ENGL 011 with a grade of “C” or higher or qualify for placement into ENGL 101 as determined by placement test scores (e.g. SAT, ACT, or other standardized placement tests as accepted by Vincennes University).
Standards for Progression and Graduation
- Funeral Service Education students must achieve a minimum grade of C in each Funeral Service Education (FNRL) course, and Science course and maintain a 2.0 semester average, based on grade point average (GPA) for current semester.
- All students are required to take the National Board Examination immediately prior to graduation. This exam is given by the International Conference of Funeral Service Examining Boards and is taken at the student’s own expense.
- All FNRL, BIOL, CHEM related courses must be completed within 3 years prior to taking the National Board Examination.