Oct 17, 2019
Two-Year Program Leading to the A.S. Degree
This program provides an opportunity for students to become Emergency Medical Technicians, meet general studies requirements, and, if qualified, to attain an Associate of Science degree in Emergency Medical Services. Graduates will be prepared to function as a paramedic in advanced prehospital emergency care. While working under the direction of a physician, the paramedic utilizes knowledge and skills to manage medical emergencies of acutely ill or injured clients in prehospital settings.
Students should apply for admission to VU in General Studies (GS) while enrolling in Emergency Medical Services (EMS) prerequisite courses. Admission as a GS major does not guarantee admission to the EMS degree program. Applications for the degree program that starts each fall must be submitted by the April 15 deadline and admission to the EMS Program will require a Change of Major in order to enroll in EMTP courses.
The following criteria are used as a guide for admission.
- Meet the Admission requirements of the University.
- Graduation from an accredited high school ranking in upper half of the graduating class.
- Possess physical and mental health acceptable for performance as evidenced by examination by licensed physician.
Program applications can be requested through the department or downloaded via the Internet.
ALL items must be completed by April 15th of each year for fall studies.
- Admission to Vincennes University.
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Application packet including:
- State or National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NR EMT) Certification.
- CPR Certification.
- Limited Criminal History (LCH), which may be obtained by visiting www.state.in.us/isp. Students are responsible for any fees associated with the LCH. Hospital and ambulance providers will require a more extensive criminal background check in addition to drug screening.
- Documentation of freedom from Tuberculosis.
- Immunization Records:
- HEP A and B
- Evidence of physical fitness to function as a paramedic signed by physician, nurse practitioner or physician’s assistant.
- Documentation of testing out or successful completion of ENGL 008 and MATH 008 , or higher. (ENGL 101 and MATH 102 are required for degree completion.)
- Documentation of:
- One year of experience with a patient care service that has more than 2,000 calls per year
- Two years of experience with a patient care service that has less than 2,000 calls per year
- Completion of EMTB 250 - EMS Experience
- Resume with three letters of recommendation.
- Admission Essay
- Concurrent enrollment in or a grade of C or better in Anatomy and Physiology (BIOL 111 /111L or BIOL 107 /107L ).
Upon review of application packets, students will be ranked and selected for admission testing and interview to include:
- Computer Adaptive Test
- Patient care scenario
- Panel Interview
Major Program Requirements
University Core Curriculum Requirements
Recommended Sequence of Courses